Elev.: 997 ft
Land Area: 11.8 sq. miles
Interestingly, the name “Blackhawk” came from a famous Irish racehorse owned by the original ranchers of the land. Blackhawk began as a large ranch at the foot of Mt. Diablo in 1917, and during the late 1970s began a streak of growth resulting in the significant community it is today. It is doubtful anyone would have guessed back then that the Blackhawk of today would consist of 2,400 custom-built homes, and enjoy the exclusivity of being one of the most coveted neighborhoods in Northern California.
Blackhawk is located in the San Ramon Valley, just east of Danville and San Ramon, tucked up against the Diablo Hills.
Situated at the base of prominent Mt. Diablo State Park, many Blackhawk estates are built beside fairways of two fine golf courses: the Lakeside and the Falls. These courses, along with immaculately-manicured open space, weave pleasingly through the community. Notably, an annual event of the LPGA tour is hosted at the Lakeside course.
Golf, tennis, swim, and top-notch clubhouse facilities all belong to the world-renowned Blackhawk Country Club, and may be enjoyed by fortunate residents.
Actually, the Blackhawk community is not just one but six gated communities: Hidden Oaks, Oakridge, Saddleback, Silver Oak, Silver Maple, and the Blackhawk Country Club. Also, the Blackhawk Plaza offers shopping to those so-minded, and for the car enthusiast, the famous Blackhawk Auto Museum offers an excellent way to while away an afternoon in total enjoyment of fine automobiles.
Blackhawk and all of its fine amenities is located about an hour from San Francisco in the beautiful San Ramon Valley.
Blackhawk Country Club
Blackhawk Country Club membership is limited and by invitation only. Proprietary members have equity in the assets and property of the Club and enjoy reciprocal privileges at many private golf and country clubs.
Blackhawk Country Club is a private, member-owned club offering elegance, relaxation and exceptional recreational and social facilities within a magnificent setting.
The Club features two 18-hole, par 72, championship golf courses. Renowned golf course architects Bruce Devlin and Robert Von Hagge designed the original 6,904-yard Lakeside Course in 1981. In 2001, the course was completely redesigned and renovated by the highly acclaimed firm of Graves and Pascusso. The Lakeside Course makes dramatic use of the natural terrain and elevated tees. It is rated by the NCGA as one of the ten most difficult courses in Northern California. The 18th green, a 10,000 square foot island surrounded by a 4-acre lake, is one of the most dramatic holes found in California.
The Club’s 6,700-yard Falls Course, designed by Ted Robinson, was completed in 1986. The Falls Course features five lakes and a spectacular waterfall as the backdrop to the 11th green.
The Club’s tennis facilities include 20 hard-surface and lighted courts – 11 located at the Villas, and 9 located at the Sports Complex. The Villas tennis complex includes an inviting clubhouse with locker rooms and a well-stocked tennis shop. Also located at the Villas are two indoor racquetball courts and an indoor basketball court.
The Sports Complex features 9 hard-surface and lighted tennis courts, including a stadium court with ampitheatre-style seating.
The Sports Complex features an eight lane, “L” shaped, 25 yard pool with a 95 square foot wading area for children. The Sports Complex offers an active aquatics program for both adults and children alike. These programs include year round adult swim, the HOX competive age-group swim team, private and group swim lessons, as well as swim clinics offered in the spring. The Villas pool features six, 25-meter competition lanes for swimming, a one-meter diving board, and heated spa.
Blackhawk Auto Museum
The Blackhawk Museum is a popular location for car clubs to gather, tour the Museum’s ever-changing exhibitions, and dine at one of Blackhawk Plaza’s many restaurants. The Museum has created a special membership category for members of car clubs.
The Blackhawk Museum, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, was established to ensure that significant automotive treasures blending art, technology, culture and history would be exhibited for public enjoyment and educational enrichment.
In September 1988, the spectacular 70,000-square-foot architectural masterpiece showcasing these rolling sculptures in a unique “jewel box” setting became a reality.
In addition to the Museum’s rolling sculptures, educational lectures are scheduled each month and rotating exhibitions are presented in each of two 2,100 square foot galleries.
An Automotive Research Library and the Museum’s Shop & Bookstore are located just off the Main Lobby. Blackhawk displays about 90 cars, many of which are on loan from Museum friends in many different parts of the world. Car collectors enjoy sharing their automobiles and Blackhawk has the most dramatic presentation of coachbuilt cars in the world, without exception.
Cars frequently come to Blackhawk after they have been exhibited at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance each August; those aficionados who did not get to visit the premier one-day concours at Pebble Beach can enjoy these cars at Blackhawk all year long. This concept keeps Blackhawk’s exhibition diverse and ever-changing; in recent years Museum visitors have seen such spectacular Pebble Beach entrants as a 1903 Mors J. Rothschild & Fils limousine, a 1909 Winton Touring Model 17, a 1911 Mercedes Labourdette Skiff, a 1936 M.G. PB Airline Coupe, a 1968 Bizzarrini 5300 S.I. Spyder, and the 1937 Figoni et Falaschi Delahaye 135 that received Best of Show during the Pebble Beach Concours’ 50th anniversary in 2000.
Blackhawk Plaza is the East Bay’s premier shopping and dining destination featuring an aquatic landscaped interior courtyard with terraced shopping and dining establishments.
Stores include: Anthropologie, Restoration Hardware, .read, Geoffrey Scott, Patrick James, Dollhouse Lingerie, Draeger’s Market, See Jane Run, and more.
Blackhawk is also home to the world-renowned Blackhawk Auto Museum, a Smithsonian affiliate; and is home to many fine restaurants.